Many of the children in my Sunday School class do not have their Fathers at home. Some have had to flee abusive Fathers, other Fathers are absent because of military station overseas or divorce. This makes Father’s Day especially painful for them, so rather than focus on crafts and ideas for Dad, I focused today’s lesson on our Heavenly Father. I asked them “how many of you would like to know more about what your Heavenly Father is like?”. They all raised their hands. Then we did a scripture hunt to discover the attributes of God together. Here is a handy recap in case any of you need a reminder.
“But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12
What is Our Heavenly Father Like?
1) Jesus. Jesus Said: “he who has seen me has seen the Father” John 8:19.
2) Loving. “He has loved us with an everlasting love” Jeremiah 31:3
3) Comforting. “Blessed be God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort; who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3
4) Mighty & Caring. “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
5) Attentive. “The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears are open to their cry” Psalm 34:15
6. Faithful. “When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take care of me.” Psalm 27:10
7. Reassuring. “Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
8. Merciful & Gracious. “The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in mercy.” Psalm 103:8
9. Forgiving. “As far as the east is from the west so far has He removed our transgressions from us.” Psalm 108:12
10. Giving. “Do not fear little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the Kingdom.” Luke 12:32